(by popular demand, fast-translated version of my previous post)
I have been in US for 2 months already! And I feel it was much shorter... time here flies! I spend most of my day at the university, but time still goes fast. Lunch time is my favorite time, as I always meet with people in some cafes around campus. This is one of the things that I miss in Aalborg, where there are no cafes or bars, but just cantines that are only open at lunch time. However, here everything opens at 7am, and you can find cafes, fast food restaurants, starbucks and so. Also, going out at lunch time is so nice! You can see plenty of people on the streets, and that is always a good sign.
After some days with a very bad weather, cold and rain, it seems that spring has finally arrived. Now, 27 degrees in my garden (and it is already 8pm). Nobody would predict that, after some days like last tuesday, with 7 degrees and rain the whole day! But now we can enjoy the warm weather, as in summer it gets too hot. *Update:* now we are back to the rain :(
At University everything is going fine. I am collaborating with other two guys, writing a paper for a conference; the deadline is in mid June, so I will probably need to work a lot until then. But it does not matter, as the rest of the people works a lot as well, and I always go out in the evenings (I will never quit that).
Life in US is a quite interesting experience. As I already wrote, there are so many different things! Specially in this state, which is quite conservative, and after living my whole life in Europe. But I think I made a quite big list last time :) And I have not traveled at all... I am waiting for the summer, when many people will leave for holidays and I will not have so many things to do. It is a shame that although I am here for just 6 months, I will need to say goodbye to a lot of people - I already did with 2 friends, and still have to do it with 3 more before I leave. That is the worst part, as in a place like this, small and with very few leisure opportunities, the people I have met is the best part, by far.
Regarding the social things, we have enjoyed some interesting parties. I have finally met a spanish girl, and we celebrated her birthday 10 days ago with sangrĂa and a typical spanish board drinking game called Ocalimocho. Of course, people loved it! And last weekend was amazing too. On Saturday there was a karts race in the stadium, and every year 3 bars organize a Breakfast Club to celebrate it. People dress up and go to the bars at 7am! As there are so many people, it is recommended that you go there long in advance, so we arrived there and started lining up at 5am. Inside the bar, the typical drink is Screwdrivers, and people order them in dozens. This is a quite special weekend and my only chance to participate in that Breakfast Club, as I will be gone for the next one (it is celebrated also during the football season in Autumn). After the "breakfast", around noon, we came back to my house and made a barbecue. It seems that barbecue season is just starting! And we need to enjoy the garden.
Wednesday, 29 April 2009
A new life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment